From Harvard’s Center for the Developing Child-
1. Even infants/young children are significantly affected by stress.
2. Life outcomes are not solely affected by genes.
3. Children also benefit from significant attachments to others besides the parent.
4. Brain development continues past age three on into early adulthood.
5. Severe neglect is as much a threat to development as physical abuse.
6. Children exposed to violence/adversity do not invariably develop stress disorders or become violent.
7. Removing a child from a dangerous environment will not automatically reverse the negative impact.
8. Resilience requires relationships, not rugged individualism. https://developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/8-things-remember-child-development/
I am constantly reminded how important connection, socialization and relationships are to development of the self and ongoing positive quality of life.